Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Try something new!

 A friend gave me 5 t-shirts and a challenge to make some bags for her... I've heard about the making yarn from t-shirts before but never tried it. I went on YT and watched GLAMPYRE do her thing. So I went from this...


to this
I folded the shirt in almost in half (as you can see at the top portion of the picture).  I made 3/4" wide slices through the top fold but not the lower fold.

 when I reached the armholes and sleeves I just cut through top and bottom layer (all the way through the bottom fold)



after a few more cuts, stretching and winding up the "yarn", I was able to make 3 bags. 


TADA!!!
Simple knitted bag with garter stitch detail at the top,
beaded handles and snap closure.


Pleated clutch with zipper closure and sparkly button



Crocheted bag with leather inserts and magnetic closure.
Faux bamboo handles

The top 2 are knitted on size 13 needles, and the bottom one is crocheted with a K ndl.  There is no pattern, I just made it up as I went along. It went lickety split, I did them in a couple of days. Hand sewing the lining was the "hardest" part.
I was neat going out of my comfort zone and stretching myself a bit.  Would I do it again?  Hmm... ***glancing over at ever expanding stash***....

No comments: